WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Arizona

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
December 12, 2023

Who can get an order of protection?

You can ask the court for an order of protection against someone who has committed or may commit an act of domestic violence if you meet a “relationship requirement.”  In other words, a judicial officer must find that you have one of the specific relationships listed below with the abuser:

  • You are or were married to the abuser;
  • You are related to the abuser or the abuser’s spouse by blood, marriage, or by court order in one of the following ways:
    • parent,
    • grandparent,
    • child,
    • grandchild,
    • brother or sister
    • parent-in-law,
    • grandparent-in-law,
    • step-parent,
    • step-grandparent,
    • step-child,
    • step-grandchild,
    • brother-in-law or sister-in-law;
  • You have or had a romantic or sexual relationship with the abuser;
  • You live, or used to live, in the same household as the abuser;
  • You have a child with the abuser, or you are pregnant with the abuser’s child (or the abuser is pregnant with your child);
  • You (the victim) are a minor who lives or has lived in the same household as the abuser and:
    • you are related by blood to a former spouse of the abuser (for example, the abuser is your ex-stepdad), or
    • you are related by blood to a person who resides or has resided in the same household as the abuser (for example, the abuser is your mother’s live-in boyfriend).1

You can also file for an order of protection on behalf of someone else if:

  • You are the parent, legal guardian, or person who has legal custody of a minor or an incapacitated person who is a victim; or
  • The victim is either temporarily or permanently unable to request an order.2

If you are not eligible for a domestic violence order of protection, you may qualify for an injunction against harassment (IAH).

1 A.R.S. § 13-3601(A)
2 A.R.S. § 13-3602(A)