WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Arizona

Restraining Orders

View all
September 19, 2018

Do I need anything special to get my order of protection enforced in another state?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your order of protection.  A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it.  In Arizona, a certified order has a stamp or seal on it and is signed by the commissioner.  The copy you originally received in court should have been a certified copy.  If your copy is not a certified copy, call or go to the court that gave you the order and ask the clerk’s office for a certified copy. 

Arizona is one of several states that uses a standard order of protection form so that it looks the same as the forms from many other states.1  The reason for using the standard form is that so it may be easier for the police to recognize and enforce the order of protection.

Note: It is a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times.  You will also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move.  Leave copies of the order at your work place, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on.  Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work.  Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.

1Arizona Supreme Court, Protective Order Forms