WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Arizona

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 12, 2023

What can I do if the abuser violates the order?

You may want to call the police, even if you think it is a minor violation. It is generally a crime if the abuser knowingly violates the order in any way. A judge can punish someone for being in contempt of court. In some cases, the police can arrest the abuser immediately if s/he is still present when the police arrive.

If you do call the police, it is a good idea to write down the name of the responding officer(s) and their badge number in case you want to follow up on your case.

For more information about contempt, including the difference between criminal contempt and civil contempt, go to our Domestic Violence Restraining Orders page.