WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Alabama

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of September 1, 2023

Do I need a lawyer to get a PFA order?

You can represent yourself (“pro se”) throughout the process of seeking a protection from abuse order.1  Although you do not need a lawyer to file for a PFA, it may be to your advantage to seek legal counsel especially if the abuser has a lawyer, when child custody issues are at stake, or during the court hearing for the final order.  If you cannot afford a lawyer but want one to help you with your case, you can find information on legal assistance on the AL Finding a Lawyer page.

In addition, the domestic violence organizations in your area may help you fill out the necessary forms. To find a local domestic violence organization, go to AL Local Programs.  

If you are going to be in court by yourself, go to our At the Hearing page for ways to prepare yourself for your court hearing.

1 Ala. Code § 30-5-5(e)