Legal Information: Alabama

Restraining Orders

View all
March 9, 2021

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in AL?

No. Only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Alabama.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. Find out if this is possible in your state by calling the clerk of the court that issued your order. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Alabama, you may be able to get a new one issued in Alabama but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Alabama. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Alabama, visit our AL Protection from Abuse Orders page.

WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.