Legal Information: Alabama

Restraining Orders

View all
September 1, 2023

What can I do if the abuser violates the order?

You can call the police immediately, even if you think it is a minor violation. It can be a class A misdemeanor crime1 and civil “contempt of court” if the abuser violates the order in any way. The PFA order can be violated if the abuser does not follow every provision in the order. It is a good idea to write down the name of the responding officer(s) and their badge number(s) in case you want to follow up on your case.

For more information about contempt, including the difference between criminal contempt and civil contempt, go to our Domestic Violence Restraining Orders page.

1 Ala. Code § 13A-6-142(a)


WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.