Legal Information: Alabama

Restraining Orders

View all
February 11, 2022

In which county can I file for a PFA order?

A petition for a protection from abuse order may be filed in any of the following counties:

  • Where you live;
  • Where the abuser lives;
  • Where you are temporarily staying if you left your residence to get away from the abuser; or
  • Where a civil court case is pending between you and the abuser.1

Note: if you have left the home and want to keep the address where you are staying confidential, filing in that county would likely not be a good idea since it would alert the abuser to the fact that you are living in that county.

1 Ala. Code § 30-5-3(c)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.