WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Washington

Restraining Orders

View all
December 3, 2020

Step 5: Full court hearing

If you want to get a final order, you must go to the hearing. If you do not go to the hearing, your temporary order will expire and you will have to start the process over. If you absolutely cannot go to the hearing at the scheduled time, you may call the courthouse and ask how to request a continuance over the phone, if that is possible.

You may wish to hire a lawyer to help with your case, especially if the abuser has a lawyer. You can also represent yourself if you choose to or if you cannot find a lawyer. For tips on representing yourself, go to our At the Hearing page. If the abuser shows up with a lawyer, you can ask the judge for a “continuance” (a later court date) so that you have time to find a lawyer. Go to WA Finding a Lawyer to find help in your area.