WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Washington

Restraining Orders

View all
December 3, 2020

Against whom can I file? What if the abuser doesn’t live in Washington?

You do not have to have any specific type of relationship with the abuser to file for a civil anti-harassment order1 as long as the person has committed the type of harassment described in What is the legal definition of harassment?  For example, the abuser may or may not be related or married to you; s/he could be a significant other, neighbor, co-worker, or relative.

If the abuser does not live in Washington, you may file for a civil anti-harassment order and the court can have jurisdiction (power) over that person if one of the following things are true:

  1. The abuser is personally served with the petition in Washington state;
  2. The abuser agrees to the Washington court having jurisdiction (power) over him/her;
  3. The acts of harassment took place in Washington (this includes when oral or written statements are made by an abuser outside Washington to a person in Washington, like sending mail or email);
  4. The harassment did not take place in Washington but it is part of an ongoing pattern of harassment that has a harmful effect on you or a member of your family or household and you live in Washington;
  5. Due to the harassment, you or a member of your family or household has fled to Washington to find safety or protection and currently lives in Washington; or
  6. Some other legal basis exists that gives a judge in Washington power over the case.2  For example, if the respondent runs a business in Washington or has significant connections to Washington, the judge may have power to issue an order.3  If you have questions about where to file in your specific situation, you may want to speak to a lawyer in Washington.

Note: If your situation falls under number 4 or 5 above, the abuser must have communicated with you or a member of your family either directly or indirectly, or threatened your safety or the safety of a member of your family while you or your family member lived in Washington.  The communication could be through the mail, the telephone, a posting online, or electronically such as through email.4

1 See R.C.W. § 10.14.080
2 R.C.W. § 10.14.155
3 See R.C.W. § 4.28.185
4 R.C.W. § 10.14.155(2)