Is there anything I can do to make it easier for another state to enforce my Tennessee protection order?
It is helpful to have the following information with you when registering your order in another state:
- A certified copy of your protection order. See Do I need a special copy of my protection order to have it enforced? for how to get a certified copy of your Tennessee order.
- The phone number of the court clerk’s office (office in charge of records) at the courthouse that issued your order. You can find contact information for Tennessee courthouses on our TN Courthouses and Locations page.
- The phone number of a domestic violence program in the county where you are registering your order. You can find contact information for local programs in any state by calling the National Domestic Violence Hotline (1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or 1-800-787-3224 for TDD/TTY). You can also find information by selecting the state from the drop-down menu here.
- Your National Crime Information Center (NCIC) number. This is the number assigned to your order when it is registered with the NCIC. You can ask your local Sheriff Department for the number. For more information about NCIC, see What is the National Crime Information Center Registry?
- The phone number of the local police or sheriff’s department in Tennessee that has your protection order on file. You can find listings of Sheriff’s Departments in Tennessee on our TN Sheriff Dept. Locations page.