WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Tennessee

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 27, 2023

Is my order still valid if I move?

If you move within Tennessee, your order will still be valid. It may be a good idea to call the clerk of court where you received the order originally to tell give your new address so that the court can contact you if necessary, but be sure to ask that the address be kept confidential from the abuser if necessary.

Additionally, if you move out of Tennessee, federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. territories and tribal lands. Different states may have different regulations for enforcing out-of-state protection orders. You can find out about your state’s policies by contacting a domestic abuse program, the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in your area.

You may also call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111, ext. 2) for information on enforcing your order in another state.

For more information, you can go to our Moving to Another State with a Tennessee Protection Order page.