What protections can I get in a workplace violence restraining order?
A workplace violence restraining order can order the abuser to:
- stay away from you and your family/ household members;
- stay away from your home, work, school, vehicle, child’s school or daycare, or other location;1
- not commit further unlawful violence against the victim or her family/household members;
- not commit "credible threats of violence" against the victim or her family/household members.2Note: Credible threats of violence” include:
- Following or stalking the employee to or from the employee's place of work.
- Entering the employee's place of work.
- Following the employee during the employee's work hours.
- Making telephone calls to an employee during the employee's work hours
- Sending correspondence to an employee by postal mail, interoffice mail, fax, or electronic mail.3
1 See "Petition of employer for injunction prohibiting violence or threats of violence against employee," available at the Indiana Courts website
2 IC § 34-26-6-8
3 IC § 34-26-6-1