WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Indiana

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 14, 2023

If I move out of state, will my order still be valid?

Your order for protection can be enforced even if you move to another state. If you move, your order for protection must be given “full faith and credit” in any other U.S. state or territory; this means that your order can be good wherever you go.1 See Moving to Another State with an Order of Protection for more information.

Remember to take a certified copy of your order with you when you move.

If you are moving to a new state, you may want to call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x2) for information on enforcing your order in the new state.

1 See 18 U.S.C §§ 2265 and 2266