WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Indiana

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 14, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Indiana?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. 

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, go to the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued or contact a local domestic violence direct service provider. You can find lawyers and advocates on our Indiana Places that Help page.

If your order does expire while you are living in Indiana, you may be able to get a new one issued in Indiana but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Indiana. To find out more information on how to get an order for protection in Indiana, visit our Indiana Orders for Protection page.