WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Iowa

Restraining Orders

View all
November 3, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Iowa?

Generally, only the state that issued your protective order can change, extend, or cancel the order. To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone or electronic means rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. Find out if this is possible in your state by calling the clerk of the court that issued your order. To find out more information about how to modify a protective order, see the Protective Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Iowa, you may be able to get a new one issued in Iowa but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Iowa. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Iowa, visit our IA Protective Orders page.