WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Iowa

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 3, 2023

How do I register my protection order in Iowa?

In general, to register your protective order in Iowa, you need to file a certified copy with the clerk of your local district court.1  If you don’t have a certified copy, the clerk may still be able to file your regular copy if you submit an affidavit that the order exists and is valid.2  When your order is registered, the clerk will give you a copy of your registered order.3

If you need help registering your protective order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Iowa for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our IA Advocates and Shelters page.

1 IA ST § 236.19(2)(a)
2 IA ST § 236.19(2)
3 IA ST § 236.19(2)(b)