Am I eligible to get a family violence protective order?
You may be eligible to file for a family violence protective order if you and/or your minor child have experienced an act of family violence by:
- Your spouse or ex-spouse;
- Your parent, step-parent, or foster parent;
- Your child, step-child, or foster child;
- Any person who lives or has lived in the same household with you; or
- Someone you have a child in common with.*
Note: A minor cannot file his/her own petition. If you are under 18 years old, you may have to get a parent/guardian to file on your behalf.**
If someone other than a family or household member is hurting you, you may be eligible for a stalking protective order. See What can I do if I'm not eligible for a family violence protective order? for more information.
* O.C.G.A. § 19-13-1
** See O.C.G.A. § 19-13-3(a)