WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Georgia

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of October 31, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protective order changed, extended, or canceled in Georgia?

Generally, only the state that issued your protective order can change, extend, or cancel the order.  

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will likely have to file a motion or petition, notify the abuser, and attend a hearing in the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Order page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Georgia, you may be able to get a new one issued in Georgia. but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Georgia.  To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Georgia, visit our  Family Violence Protection Orders page.