WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Georgia

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
October 31, 2023

Step 1: Get the necessary forms and fill them out.

You can file for a family violence protective order at the superior court in the county where the abuser lives.  If the abuser does not live in Georgia, then you should go to the superior court where you live or where the abuse happened.1  To find courthouse contact information, go to our GA Courthouse Locations page.  At the courthouse, you will speak with the civil clerk of court.  Ask for a petition for a family violence protective order.  The clerk will give you the forms that you need to file.  If you need help filling out the form, ask the clerk for help. You will also find links to online forms at our GA Download Court Forms page.

Also, you may be able to get help through one of the domestic violence organizations listed on our GA Advocates and Shelters page.

Note: Remember to bring some form of identification (a driver’s license or a picture ID) when going to court to fill out a petition.  Carefully fill out the petition. Be specific. Write about the most recent incident of violence, using descriptive language (slapping, hitting, grabbing, threatening, when the police were called, etc.) that fits your situation.  Include past instances of abuse as the form provides.  The judge is going to make a ruling regarding whether or not to issue a temporary ex parte order based on the events that you describe.  Make sure the information provided accurately tells your story in detail.

1 O.C.G.A. § 19-13-2