Legal Information: Georgia

Restraining Orders

View all
October 31, 2023

How do I register my protective order in Georgia?

Anyone may register a foreign (out-of-state) protection order in Georgia.  To register a foreign protection order, you have to present a certified copy of the order to the local Superior Court.  A certified copy will usually be signed and initialed by the clerk of the court that issued the order, and will usually have some kind of stamp or raised seal on it.   The clerk will give you a receipt that shows the order has been received.  There will be no charge for filing your foreign protection order.1  The clerk will then transmit the information to where it will be entered in NCIC.2

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Georgia for assistance.  You can find contact information for organizations in your area on our GA Advocates and Shelters page.

1 O.C.G.A. § 19-13-54(b)
2 O.C.G.A. § 19-13-53

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.