Legal Information: Georgia

Restraining Orders

View all
October 31, 2023

How do I get my protection order enforced in another state?

Federal law does not require you to take any special steps to get your protection order enforced in another state.

Many states do have laws or regulations (rules) about registering or filing of out-of-state orders, which can make enforcement easier, but a valid protection order is enforceable regardless of whether it has been registered or filed in the new state.1 Rules differ from state to state, so it may be helpful to find out what the rules are in your new state. You can contact a local domestic violence organization for more information by visiting our Advocates and Shelters page and entering your new state in the drop-down menu.

Note: It is important to keep a copy of your protective order with you at all times.  It is also a good idea to know the rules of states you will be living in or visiting to ensure that your out-of-state order can be enforced in a timely manner.

1 18 U.S.C. § 2265(d)(2)

Do I need anything special to get my protection order enforced in another state?

In some states, you may need a certified copy of your protection order.  If your copy is not a certified copy, you may request a copy from the clerk in the records department of the courthouse where your protective order was granted.  You may want to call the courthouse to see if there is any cost for a certified order.  See our GA Courthouse Locations page for courthouse contact information.

Can I get someone to help me? Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to get your protective order enforced in another state.

However, you may want to get help from a local domestic violence advocate or attorney in the state that you move to.  A domestic violence advocate can let you know what the advantages and disadvantages are for registering your protective order, and help you through the process if you decide to do so.

To find a domestic violence advocate or an attorney in the state you are moving to, please click on the Places that Help tab at the top of this page.

Do I need to tell the court in Georgia if I move?

You may want to make sure the court has an address where you can receive mail in case the respondent files any sort of motion related to your order. However, if your new address is confidential, you may want to be give the address of a family member where you can receive mail or a P.O. box.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.