Legal Information: Delaware

Restraining Orders

View all
November 4, 2022

Do I need a special copy of my order of protection from abuse to get it enforced?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your order of protection from abuse. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it. In Delaware, a certified order has a stamp that says “Certified” and a seal.

The copy you originally received was most likely not a certified copy. If your copy is not a certified copy, you should go to the Records department of the courthouse where your order of protection from abuse was granted. You must bring a photo ID. There is no fee if you are getting a certified copy. However, there may be a fee if a person, other than the victim, is trying to get the certified copy. (Note: Sometimes court clerks mistakenly charge a fee to victims, so make sure you are not accidently charged.)

Note: It is a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times. You will also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move. Leave copies of the order at your work place, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on. Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work. Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.