Información Legal: Hawái

Restraining Orders

Ver Todo
11 de marzo de 2022

Who is eligible for an order of protection?

You can file an order for protection against a family or household member who has committed acts of domestic abuse against you or your minor child.  A family or household member includes:

  • your current or former spouse;
  • your current or former reciprocal beneficiary,1 which is someone who you have significant personal, emotional, and economic relationships with, but are prohibited from legally marrying.2  (To see the requirements of becoming reciprocal beneficiaries, go to our HI Statutes page);
  • someone with whom you have a child in common;
  • your parent;
  • your child;
  • someone related to you by blood or marriage;
  • someone with whom you live/lived (Note: This does not include adults who lived together as roommates or who were cohabitants only for economic reasons or due to a contract (e.g., a lease)); and/or
  • someone who you are dating or used to date.1

1 HRS § 586-1
2 HRS § 572C-2

Can I get an order for protection against a same-sex partner?

In Hawaii, you may apply for an order of protection against a current or former same-sex partner as long as the relationship meets the requirements listed in Who is eligible for an order of protection?  You must also be the victim of an act of domestic abuse, which is explained here What is the legal definition of domestic abuse in Hawaii?

You can find information about LGBTQIA victims of abuse and what types of barriers they may face on our LGBTQIA Victims page.

Can I get an order for protection if I'm a minor?

If you are a minor (under 18),1 any family, household member, or state agency may file for an order for protection on your behalf.2

1 HRS § 577-1
2 HRS § 586-3(b)

How much does an order for protection cost? Do I need a lawyer?

Nothing. There is no fee to file for, get, or serve an order for protection.1

Although you do not need a lawyer to file for an order for protection, it may be helpful to have a lawyer. Having legal representation is especially important if the abuser has a lawyer. Even if the abuser does not have a lawyer, it is recommended that you contact a lawyer to make sure that your legal rights are protected.

If you cannot afford a lawyer but want one to help you with your case, you can find information on legal assistance and domestic violence organizations on the Places that Help page. In addition, the domestic violence organizations in your area and/or court staff may be able to answer some of your questions or help you fill out the necessary court forms.2 You will find contact information for courthouses on the HI Courthouse Locations page.

1 HRS § 607-2.5
2 HRS § 586-3(d)

If you are going to be in court without a lawyer, our Preparing for Court – By Yourself section may be useful to you.

WomensLaw sirve y apoya a todas las personas sobrevivientes sin importar su sexo o género.