9-15-201. Petition - Requirements generally.
(a) All petitions under this chapter shall be verified.
(b) The petition shall be filed in the county where the petitioner resides, where the alleged incident of abuse occurred, or where the respondent may be served.
(c)(1) A petition for relief under this chapter may be filed in the circuit court.
(2) A petition for relief under this chapter may be filed in a pilot district court if the jurisdiction is established by the Supreme Court under Amendment 80, Section 7 of the Arkansas Constitution and if the cases are assigned to the pilot district court through the Court Administrative Plan under the Arkansas Supreme Court Administrative Order No. 14.
(d) A petition may be filed by:
(1) Any adult family or household member on behalf of himself or herself;
(2) Any adult family or household member on behalf of another family or household member who is a minor, including a married minor;
(3) Any adult family or household member on behalf of another family or household member who has been adjudicated an incompetent; or
(4) An employee or volunteer of a domestic-violence shelter or program on behalf of a minor, including a married minor.
(e)(1) A petition for relief shall:
(A) Allege the existence of domestic abuse;
(B) Disclose the existence of any pending litigation between the parties; and
(C) Disclose any prior filings of a petition for an order of protection under this chapter.
(2) The petition shall be accompanied by an affidavit made under oath that states the specific facts and circumstances of the domestic abuse and the specific relief sought.
(f) The petition may be filed regardless of whether there is any pending litigation between the parties.
(g) A person’s right to file a petition, or obtain relief hereunder shall not be affected by his or her leaving the residence or household to avoid abuse.