5-13-204. Aggravated assault
(a) A person commits aggravated assault if, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he or she purposely:
(1) Engages in conduct that creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person;
(2) Displays a firearm in such a manner that creates a substantial danger of death or serious physical injury to another person; or
(3) Impedes or prevents the respiration of another person or the circulation of another person’s blood by applying pressure on the chest, throat, or neck or by blocking the nose or mouth of the other person.
(b) Aggravated assault is a Class D felony.
(c) The provisions of this section do not apply to:
(1) A law enforcement officer acting within the scope of his or her duty; or
(2) A person acting in self-defense or the defense of a third party.