Section 30-5-1. Short title; construction; purposes.
(a) This chapter shall be known as and may be cited as the Protection From Abuse Act.
(b) This chapter shall be liberally construed and applied to promote all of the following purposes:
(1) To assure victims of domestic violence the maximum protection from abuse that the law can provide.
(2) To create a flexible and speedy remedy to discourage violence and harassment against family members or others with whom the perpetrator has continuing contact.
(3) To expand the ability of law enforcement officers to assist victims, to enforce the law effectively in cases of domestic violence, and to prevent further incidents of abuse.
(4) To facilitate equal enforcement of criminal law by deterring and punishing violence against family members and others who are personally involved with the perpetrators.
(5) To recognize that domestic violence is a crime that will not be excused or tolerated.
(6) To provide for protection orders to prevent domestic violence and provide for court jurisdiction and venue; to provide for court hearing for petitions for relief; and to provide for the contents and the issuance of protection orders.