WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: New Hampshire

Restraining Orders

View all
August 10, 2023

In which county can I file for a protective order?

You can file a petition in the county/district where you live or where the abuser lives.1 If you have fled your home to avoid further abuse, you also have the option of filing the petition in the county/district where you are temporarily living.2 However, if you are trying to keep your address confidential, filing in the county where you have fled to would likely not be a good idea since it would alert the abuser to the fact that you are living in that county.

1 N.H. Rev. Stat. § 173-B:3(I)
2 N.H. Rev. Stat. § 173-B:2