WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: New Hampshire

Restraining Orders

View all
August 10, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protective order changed, extended, or canceled in NH?

No.  Only the state that originally gave you your protective order can change, extend, or cancel the order.  You cannot have this done by a court in New Hampshire.   

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to ask the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  To find out more information about how to change, extend, or cancel a protective order, see the Restraining Orders page on this website for the state where your order was issued. (Select the tab on the top fo this page that says State Laws and scroll to Restraining Orders.  Then chose the state where your order was initially issued from the drop down menu on that page).

If your order does expire while you are living in New Hampshire, you may be able to get a new one issued in New Hampshire but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred since you got your original protective order and/or if no abuse has occurred in New Hampshire.  To find out more information on how to get a protective order in New Hampshire, visit our NH Protective Orders page.