WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: New Hampshire

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of July 17, 2024

What happens if I move?

If you move within New Hampshire, your order will still be valid and good.However, it may be a good idea to call the clerk to change your address if you won’t be getting mail at your old address. That’s because the court will communicate with you only by mail if anything happens to your protective order - for example, if your abuser asks the court to dismiss the order or change it in any way.

If you provide your new address to the court, make sure to confirm that it will be kept in a confidential part of your file so the public will not have access to it. However, your new address could possibly be released to court or law enforcement officials. If you feel unsafe giving your new address, you may be able to use the address of a friend you trust or a P.O. Box instead.

Additionally, the federal law provides what is called “Full Faith and Credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands. Different states have different rules for enforcing out-of-state protection orders. You can find out about your state’s policies by contacting a domestic violence program, the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in your area.

If you are moving out of state, you should call the battered women’s program in the state where you are going to find out how that state treats out-of-state orders.

If you are moving to a new state, you may also call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x 2) for information on enforcing your order in another state.

Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.

1 NH Rev. Stat. § 173-B:13