WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: District of Columbia

Restraining Orders

View all
October 29, 2020

How do I get an extreme risk protection order?

You can file for an extreme risk protection order if you are related to the respondent, are dating, living with, or have a child with the respondent, or are a certain type of professional. You can start the process by filing a petition at the Superior Court for the District of Columbia. Your petition must:

  • be written;
  • include facts that support your claim that the respondent presents a significant danger of causing bodily injury to himself/herself or others by having possession or control of, purchasing, or receiving any firearm or ammunition;
  • include information about the number, types, and location of the respondent’s firearms and ammunition if you have that information; and
  • have supporting documents and evidence attached.1

Your petition must be served to the Office of the Attorney General and the respondent.1

1 D.C. Code § 7-2510.02(a)