Legal Information: District of Columbia

Restraining Orders

View all
August 31, 2021

I was sexually assaulted by a stranger/friend. Can I file for a civil protection order?

If you are a victim of sexual assault, sex or labor trafficking, or child sex trafficking, you can file for a civil protection order against the offender regardless of your relationship to him/her. This means that you could file for a civil protection order if the person who sexually assaulted or trafficked you is a stranger, co-worker, acquaintance, etc.

WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.