WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: District of Columbia

Restraining Orders

View all
April 5, 2024

Now that I have the protection order, can I get my landlord to change my locks?

If the abuser is a tenant in your rented home or apartment, and you have a protection order that states that the abuser has to stay away from you, any other household member, or the apartment, you can get your locks changed. The landlord must change the locks to all entrance doors to your apartment within five business days of your request.1

You can also request for your locks to be changed even if the abuser is not a tenant in your home. For more information, go to our Housing Laws page.

1 D.C. Code § 42-3505.08(a)