WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: District of Columbia

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of April 5, 2024

How do I register my protection order in Washington, D.C.?

Anyone may register a foreign (out-of-state) protection order in Washington, D.C.  To register a foreign protection order, you have to present a certified copy of the order to the Superior Court and file an affidavit stating that to the best of your knowledge, the order is currently in effect.1

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Washington, D.C. for assistance.  You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our D.C. Advocates and Shelters page.

1 D.C. Code § 16-1044(b)