WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Colorado

Restraining Orders

View all
October 13, 2023

Step 1: Get the required forms.

You will need to go to an appropriate county or district court and ask for the required forms for filing a “motion for civil protection order.”   An appropriate county court is a court in the county where you live or work, where the defendant lives or works, or where the abusive incident occurred.   You need to file in district court if you have previously filed for divorce or custody with the person you wish to get the order against. (To find the courthouse in your county, go to CO Courthouse Locations.)

The forms are also available online.  To access those forms and instructions on how to go about asking for a protection order, you can go to the Colorado state court website.