WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Colorado

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of October 13, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Colorado?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You usually cannot have this done by a court in Colorado.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. Contact the court that issued your protective order to find out if this is possible. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Colorado, you may be able to get a new one issued in Colorado but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Colorado. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Colorado, visit our CO Domestic Violence Protection Orders page.