WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Alaska

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of August 9, 2023

Can I change or end an order from the court?

After the court issues the protective order, you can ask the court to change (modify) or end (dissolve) the order. The abuser (called the “respondent” in court) can also do this. You will need to fill out the required paperwork, which is available at the court clerk’s office.1

Only the judge has the power to modify the order. If you are trying to modify an ex parte protective order, the court will schedule a hearing on three days’ notice or on less. If you are trying to modify a long term order, the court will schedule a hearing within 20 days after the date the request is made if the court finds that the request to modify the order has merit (value).2

You and the abuser cannot change the order simply by agreeing outside of the legal process. Even if both of you agree to change part of the order, you must still go through the legal system for the change to be enforceable. It is not valid unless it is written in a court order. Allowing the abuser to ignore one part of the order could encourage violations of other parts.

Generally, you cannot extend a long term protective order. You will need to fill out a new petition and begin the process again. To get another order, you should describe any new incidents of sexual assault or stalking that occurred since the previous protective order was granted or state the reason that you believe you continue to need the court’s protection.

1 See the AK Court System Instructions for Requesting a Protective Order Against Stalking or Sexual Assault
2 Alaska Statute § 18.65.860(a)