WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Alaska

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of August 9, 2023

How do I get my out-of-state order enforced by local law enforcement or state troopers in Alaska?

You can call your local law enforcement agency or state trooper office if the abuser violated the order. When the police get there, you should show them a copy of your order. A protective order issued in another state that appears to be authentic (real) is presumed to be valid and the officer is required by law to enforce the order just as if it were issued in Alaska.1

The officer will likely check your order to see whether it has been filed in the central registry for protective orders, which would happen if you filed (registered) your order in a court in Alaska. If you do not have a copy of your order with you, but you filed it in an Alaskan court, a local law enforcement officer or state trooper can likely get the information they need to enforce your order from the Alaska Public Safety Information Network (APSIN), which contains information from the central registry for protective orders.

1 Alaska Statute § 18.66.140(b),(d); see also § 11.56.740