WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: South Dakota

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
November 28, 2023

Step 3 - Go to the courthouse to file the forms.

You will need to file the forms in the county courthouse where you live, where your abuser lives, or where the abuse occurred.  To file the forms, during business hours, go to the Clerk of Civil Court.  Tell the clerk that you want to file for a protection order against domestic violence.  If you need emergency protection, also tell the clerk you need temporary order.  To find contact information for the courthouse in your area, click on SD Courthouse Locations.