WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: South Dakota

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 28, 2023

I have a temporary order. Can it be enforced in another state?

Temporary orders can be enforced by other states, just like any regular protection order, as long as the abuser has been served and will have the opportunity to have a court hearing set before your temporary order expires.

Note: The state where you are going cannot extend your temporary order, or issue you a permanent order when the temporary one expires. If you need to extend your temporary order, you will have to contact the court that issued the order and arrange to be at the hearing in person or by telephone. In South Dakota, you can make a request (in writing) to the judge to attend the hearing by telephone. It will be up to the judge to decide whether or not to allow this.