WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: South Dakota

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 28, 2023

Can I have my protection order changed, extended, or canceled in South Dakota?

Only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order.  You cannot have this done by a court in South Dakota.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.

To find out more information about how to modify a protection order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.  If your order does expire while you are living in South Dakota, you may be able to get a new one issued in South Dakota, but this may be difficult to do if no new incidences of abuse have occurred in South Dakota.  To find out more information on how to get a protection order in South Dakota, visit our SD Protection Orders due to Domesic Violence page.