Legal Information: South Carolina

Restraining Orders

View all
November 8, 2016

Step 1: Get the necessary forms.

To start your case, you will need to fill out some forms.  To get these form, you can go to the courthouse or get them off the internet (Download Court Forms).

If you are going to court to get the forms, go to the Family Court clerk in where you live or are in shelter (if you are a state resident), in the county where the abuser lives (if the abuser is a state resident), in the county where you and the abuser last lived together, or in the county where the abuse took place.

Note: If it is after hours and the courts are closed, you may go to Magistrate's Court to file for an order of protection.  If you are filing for a stalking protective order, you must go to the Magistrate's Court and file your petition there.

To find the courthouse in your county, go to Courthouse Locations.

At the courthouse, the clerk will provide you with the forms you need.  If you download the forms, you will still need to go to court to file them, or turn them in.