WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: South Carolina

Restraining Orders

View all
December 8, 2020

Do I need anything special to get my order of protection enforced in another state?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your order of protection. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it. In South Carolina, a certified order either has an original judge’s signature or a stamp and seal on it.

South Carolina is also a part of Project Passport, which means that the first page of your order of protection looks the same as orders in other Project Passport states. This means it may be easier to get your order of protection enforced in one these states, which include:

Alabama, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Missouri, Ohio, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, Virginia, and the Poarch Band of Creek Indians (located in Alabama) 1

The copies you originally received should have been certified copies either given to you or mailed to you.2 If your copies are not certified, go to the family court office and ask for a certified copy. There is no fee to get a certified copy of a South Carolina order of protection.

Note: It may be a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times. You may also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move. Leave copies of the order at your work place, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on. You may want to give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work and to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.

1 Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Data Resource Center. “Projects.”
2 S.C. Code Ann. § 20-4-80