WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: South Carolina

Restraining Orders

View all
December 8, 2020

Can I extend or change my restraining order?

You can file a motion to ask that the final restraining order be extended for “good cause.” The defendant will have the chance to present evidence at a hearing within thirty days of the expiration date of the order to tell the judge why the order should not be extended. Then the judge will decide whether to extend it or not.1

If you want to change your order, you can file a motion to modify the order.2

1 S.C. Code § 16-3-1780(B)
2 S.C. Code § 16-3-1780(D)