WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Rhode Island

Restraining Orders

View all
November 30, 2023

Step 1: Get the necessary forms.

To start your case, you will go to either the family court or district court in the county where you live or are currently staying. You will get the necessary forms from the clerk at the courthouse and fill them out. To find contact information for the courthouse in your area, go to our RI Courthouse Locations page.

You can find the forms from the clerk at the courthouse, but you may want to get the forms from our RI Download Court Forms page and find them before you go and fill them out at home or with an advocate from a shelter or local organization.

Most shelters and other domestic violence organizations can provide support for you while you fill out these papers and go to court. Please visit RI Advocates and Shelters page to find help in your area.