Legal Information: Rhode Island

Restraining Orders

View all
November 4, 2022

How do I register my protection order in Rhode Island?

You can file your protection order in any superior court, family court or district court by filing a certified copy of the order with the court. The court will make you swear under oath in an affidavit (a written statement) that to the best of your knowledge, the order is presently in effect as written. The order will then be entered into the Rhode Island Restrining Order/No Contact Order (RONCO) database.1

You do not need a lawyer to register your protection order. If you are confused or worried about the process, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Rhode Island to ask for help from a local advocate. To find a local domestic violence organization in Rhode Island, please go to our RI Links and Resources page.

 1 RI Gen. Laws § 12-29-1.1(b)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.