WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Puerto Rico


Laws current as of
November 25, 2023

If there is a custody order in place, can I take my kids out of Puerto Rico?

Generally, in most states and U.S. territories, a parent can take his/her kids out of the state or territory for a brief trip as long as there is no order prohibiting it and so long as it does not interfere with the other parent’s visitation rights. However, if you are uncertain whether a planned trip may violate your custody order, please consult with a lawyer before leaving.

If you want to permanently move off of the island (or move within the island to a distant location that would interfere with the other parent’s visitation schedule), then you may have to return to court to try to modify the order to get permission to move and to change the terms of the court order. As with any modification of a custody order, in order to get permission to move, you must prove to the judge that moving would be in the best interests of your child. As with all custody issues, it is probably best to talk to a lawyer about this matter. Please visit our PR Finding a Lawyer page.