WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Pennsylvania

Statutes: Pennsylvania

View all
December 14, 2023

6114.1. Civil contempt or modification for violation of an order or agreement

(a) General rule.–A plaintiff may file a petition for civil contempt with the issuing court alleging that the defendant has violated any provision of an order or court-approved agreement issued under this chapter or a foreign protection order.

(b) Civil contempt order.–Upon finding of a violation of a protection order or court-approved consent agreement issued under this chapter or a foreign protection order, the court, either pursuant to petition for civil contempt or on its own accord, may hold the defendant in civil contempt and constrain him in accordance with law.

(c) Sentencing.–A sentence for civil contempt under this chapter may include imprisonment until the defendant complies with provisions in the order or consent agreement or demonstrates the intent to do so, but in no case shall a term of imprisonment under this section exceed a period of six months.

(d) Jury trial and counsel.–The defendant shall not have a right to a jury trial; however, the defendant shall be entitled to counsel.