WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kentucky

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
November 15, 2023

Who can get a protective order?

You can file for an order due to acts of domestic violence and abuse committed against you or your minor child by any of the following people, which the law refers to as family members or members of an unmarried couple:

  • your current or former spouse;
  • your parent or step-parent;
  • your adult sibling;
  • your child or step-child;
  • your grandparent or grandchild;
  • a boyfriend / girlfriend with whom you currently or formerly live(d) “as a couple;” or
  • a boyfriend / girlfriend with whom you have a child.1

If the victim is a child, s/he can file against any person living in the same household regardless of their relationship.2

Note: The definition of “member of an unmarried couple” does not include a boyfriend / girlfriend with whom you do not have a child and with whom you have never lived.3 However, an interpersonal protective order does cover those types of dating relationships.

1 KRS § 403.720(2), (3), (6)
2 KRS § 403.720(3)
3 KRS § 403.720(6)