WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Kentucky

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 15, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Kentucky?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. 

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will likely have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

Kentucky law requires that you notify the courthouse in Kentucky where you filed your order to be authenticated if your protection order expires, is canceled, or is modified in any way by the court that issued the order. Within two business days of any such change, you have to notify the clerk and present a copy of the new order to be authenticated.1

If your order does expire while you are living in Kentucky, you may be able to get a new one issued in Kentucky but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Kentucky.  To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Kentucky, visit our KY Protective Orders / Domestic Violence Orders page.  

1 KRS § 403.7535(1), (2)