Legal Information: Kentucky

Restraining Orders

View all
September 29, 2021

What happens to my order if I move?

If you move within Kentucky or to another state, your protective order will still be valid and good.  Federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. territories and tribal lands.  You can read more on our Moving to Another State with a Kentucky Domestic Violence Order (DVO) page.

If you are moving to a new state, you may want to call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x 2) for information on enforcing your order in another state.

WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.